Thursday, September 25, 2008

Are FIRST time experiences always BAD??

WEDNESDAY. 24th SEPTEMBER.
MY DETAILED FIRST WORKING EXPERIENCE- Waitressing at an 1-day Expo event.
Got up at 4.45 AM, EARLY IN THE MORNING.
WHY? VICTORIA HAS WORK TODAY! Had to reach expo by 6AM. so super early!
Anyways, cabbed down with E and Rachel (some unknown girl). Cab fare was $29.80 in total and I paid $20. Walked out of the cab. And GUESS WHAT?!? WE FORGOT TO COLLECT THE RECEIPT! I was super sad, thinking that I wouldnt be able to claim back my $20.

We were led to some kitchen and had to put on a black vest, over our formal wear.
Brought to Hall 3 and the hall is HUGE. I was like... OMG ...SHIT. Over 100 tables!
Carried plates of food out to put on the manymany tables.

Then, it was the assigning of groups time. And the person in charge called out. Victor? (no response). Called out Victor again. (still no response) Before saying "Or is there a Victoria?" and I walked up to him. "Sorry ah. I trying to save space on the paper, write your name halfway only." zzzzzzz. Thanks alot...
Anyways, I was grouped with this yr 2 guy,Sheldon, from TP's culinary course. Well, he practically taught me how to pour tea/coffee properly and all, and also told me not to go to tabletop or issit toptable next sem because.... haha. Yes. we had to serve tea/coffee to the 2 rows of tables we're assigned to. I was in charge of serving tea, and I discovered that MANY PEOPLE PREFER COFFEE TO TEA. So there I was, slacking at the back with a heavy pot of tea in my hand, waiting for people to say they want tea.lol. At least, I managed to pour more than 15 cups of tea before other people took over my teapot, leaving me with nothing to do :(
Next up was a SHORT BREAK I think.

Then, it was time for CLEARING UP. 30 mins to clear all their plates and cups before the people come back to the hall. OMG. My hand was like trembling whenever I carried my fully stacked with plates/cups tray back to the clearing area. "Pls,pls dont fall and break"was what I told the plates.haha So freaking HEAVY. Had to walk to and fro, from one end to the other of the hall, whenever clearing one round. STUPID HALL,WHY MUST YOU BE SO BIG?
However, Victoria, being her hardworking self, cleared MANY rounds of plates/cups/sugar packets/empty water bottles/spoons/forks/napkins/rubbish!

It was SETTING UP THE BUFFET TIME.
yupps, carried heavy oily trays of food out to the buffet tables.
oh the guy passed me this huge plate of fruits and told me to place it on any table I liked.(the tables he was referring to were the buffet ones) However, I stupidly place the HUGE plate of fruits on one of the customer's table! Still wondering why the 3 woman seated were staring at me... LOL.
LUNCH BREAK was the time of thrashing ryan in all the handgames. LOL. not really... Played ji-ko-pa,chopsticks,coconut coconut coconut crack, ti-titi-ti-ti..ti-ti(haha),and many others.

Then was MAJOR CLEANUP. yucks, it sucks. We practically had to clear the WHOLE HALL, besides leaving the 160 tables there. ALL the dirty/clean plates/ cutleries, rubbish,buffet trays/tables/skirting/(even had to remove the staples off the table corners.... EVERYTHING! IT WAS TIRING.

Work ended at around 430pm. So in total, VICTORIA worked for 10.5 HOURS, and is only paid 6 bucks per hour:( Luckily I managed to claim my 20 bucks cab fare w/o the receipt, if not the whole job would have sucked.


Left Expo for Cine.
We were all so tired, that we placed our butts down on the train floor and slept all the way. Almost missed the stop to alight.
Anyways, we bought 5 tickets to M18 STEP BROTHERS. Elina came later. Both us girls were not yet 18. hah. we were like thinking of ways to enter. E even suggested opening the back door for me. In the end, they didnt check out ICs.

MY FIRST M18 movie in the cinemas was BAD. pretty bad.

-HOME SWEET HOME-
"What A Day!"

No comments: